Representing your business
Members set the agenda, drive policy formation and assist representation activity through local Leadership Groups in Bradford, Leeds and York & North Yorkshire.
Each group represents a cross section of companies based within its geographical area. They are chaired by their local president and membership is open to all members. Chamber governance rules require that a third of group members seek re-election on an annual basis. We actively encourage nominations from the wider membership, so if you would like to represent your sector and help provide the voice of business then please look out for notifications.
The Chamber’s Leadership Groups have the following roles and activities:
- To decide Chamber policy, through discussion of proposals and initiatives from the local authority, central government, the Local Enterprise Partnership and other bodies
- To act as ‘ambassadors’ for the Chamber in particular and the business community in general, and play a wider role in the region’s affairs (e.g. sit on other bodies and represent the Chamber more widely)
- To receive information (e.g. from Chamber staff, other Leadership Group members, external organisations) and cascade that to their own organisations/sectors
- To feed views and information into the Leadership Groups from members’ own organisations and sectors (this may lead to policy development, lobbying activity and media coverage, but also may simply be an exchange of information)
- To identity the needs of local business and either meet them directly or by influencing other organisations to do so
- The Leadership Groups appoint representatives to the West & North Yorkshire Chamber Board.
Key decision-makers are regularly invited to attend group meetings. These often include MPs, the Bank of England, senior council officers and elected members. The Leadership Group can also request that an issue be delegated to or taken up by another formal or informal policy group, such as York’s Property Forum, Bradford’s Local Affairs Committee, or the West & North Yorkshire Transport Group.
The Bank of England’s Regional Agent regularly updates the Chamber; representatives from the Leadership Groups meet regularly with MPs and Local Authority leadership to share what they’re doing for business and discuss issues raised by our members.
If you’re interested in learning more about our various policy groups, contact us on 01274 230057.